The International Gender Champions Disarmament Impact Group and the BWC Implementation Support Unit welcome you to an interactive discussion on the relevance of gender perspectives to the implementation of the Biological Weapons Convention.
The discussion will address recent initiatives to improve women’s meaningful participation in the BWC, as well as research on sex-specific and gendered impacts of biological weapons.
Panelists will take stock of how gender perspectives are already being incorporated into BWC discussions and, in view of the forthcoming Ninth BWC Review Conference, how they can be further promoted and strengthened in future BWC work programmes.
The event will also mark the launch of a new factsheet by the Disarmament Impact Group on “Gender and Biological Weapons”.
- Daniel Feakes, Chief, Biological Weapons Convention Implementation Support Unit
- Ngoc Phuong van der Blij, Political Affairs Officer, Biological Weapons Convention Implementation Support Unit
- Grisselle Rodriguez, Chairperson of the BWC Meeting of Experts on Institutional Strengthening of the Convention, Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of Panama to the UN in Geneva
- Stephanie Norlock, Program Officer, International Federation of Biosafety Associations
- Michael Gaffey, Permanent Representative of Ireland to the UN in Geneva and Co-Chair of the Disarmament Impact Group