8 - 14 avenue de la paix
in Geneva 1202
The panel discussion will focus on gender parity as a key element of gender equality and how it contributes to the integration of a gender perspective in the work of the Human Rights Council and its mechanisms. The session will also analyse initiatives for gender-responsive assemblies that have the potential to drive effective change within the Council.
The panel discussion aims:
- To take stock of developments since the last annual discussion on the integration of a gender perspective with a focus on gender parity held in September 2015;
- To discuss new gender-responsive initiatives and successful practices and how they have the potential to drive change in the Human Rights Council and its mechanisms;
To analyse remaining challenges to achieve parity in international human rights bodies, in particular the Human Rights Council and its mechanisms and to ensure more balanced participation of men and women in decision-making processes.
Chair: H.E. Mr. Carlos Mario Foradori, Vice-President of the Human Rights Council
Opening statement: Ms. Kate Gilmore, United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
Moderator: Ms. Caitlin Kraft-Buchman, Founder of Women@TheTable
- Ms. Elizabeth S. Salmón, Chair of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee
- Ms. Alejandra Vicente, Member of the Secretariat of the GQUAL Campaign and Head of Law at REDRESS
- Ms. Mariana Duarte Mutzenberg, Programme Officer, Gender Partnership Programme, Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
The panel discussion will be webcast live and archived on http://webtv.un.org
More info here.