On June 5th 2023, for the World Environment Day, SHE Changes Climate and FAO will host an inclusive dialogue in Geneva, with representatives from the UAE (COP28 incoming Presidency) as well as other key countries and women leaders, female spokespersons from the Global South. With the combination of climate change, conflicts, natural disasters, as well as the on-going food, finance and energy crisis, we believe that it is utterly important to give a voice to the people who are on the front lines of these impacts.
This event is organized together with the UN Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) and in partnership with UNECE, UNITAR, the International Gender Champions Secretariat, the New Women Connectors and the IFRC among others.
Distinguished speakers include H.E. Lubna Qassim, Minister Plenipotentiary, Deputy Permanent Representative for the UAE ; H.E. Ambassador Shara Duncan-Villalobos, Chargée d’Affaires and Deputy Permanent Representative of Costa Rica ; Fleur Heyworth , Head of the International Gender Champions Secretariat, Dominique Bourgeon, Director of the FAO Office in Geneva, Caroline Holt, Director of Climate, Resilience and Disasters, IFRC, and several SHE Changes Climate Ambassadors from around the world.
Here is the detailed agenda:
15h00: Global vision and context
Opening Keynote Speeches:
- H.E. Ambassador Shara Duncan-Villalobos, Chargée d’Affaires and Deputy Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the UN
- Dominique Bourgeon, Director of the FAO Office in Geneva
- Caroline Holt, Director of Climate, Resilience and Disasters, IFRC
- Fleur Heyworth, Head of the International Gender Champions Secretariat
Facilitator: Natalie Sifuma, SHE Changes Climate Head of Communications
15h30 - 16h30 : Multi-stakeholder dialogue on the climate, food and energy crisis
With the participation of Her/His Excellencies, Ambassadors and Deputy Ambassadors from: Mexico, Mauritius, Sweden, Maldives and other countries UN Permanent Missions
Focus on the Food crisis:
- Shreya Ghodawat, WEF Global Shaper, CEO of Sustainable Guides, SHE Changes Climate Ambassador in India
- Seyran Khalili , Project Manager, New Women Connectors
- Christine Namusaazi, Founder of SHE Unit Uganda, SHE Changes Climate Ambassador
- Sylvie Wabbes, FAO Emergency and Rehabilitation Officer.
Focus on the Energy crisis:
- Leslie Sligh, UNITAR/Global Platform for Action on Sustainable Energy in Displacement Settings
- Béatrice Godefroy, Director of Public Policy engagement, Climate Action Accelerator
- Elena Balbekova, SHE Changes Climate Ambassador for Ukraine, Former Head of Delegation for UNFCCC and Founder of the Climate Department at the Ministry in Kiev
- Ms. Iva Brkic, Secretary of the Committee on Sustainable Energy, UNECE
Facilitator: Elise Buckle, SHE Changes Climate Co-Founder and Head of Policy & Advocacy Strategy, UN Advisor, CEO of Climate & Sustainability, University Professor
16h30- 17h00: Policy recommendations for COP28 and urgent action needed to accelerate women empowerment and scale up finance for resilience and Loss & Damage
- H.E. Lubna Qassim, Minister Plenipotentiary, Deputy Permanent Representative for the UAE (COP28 incoming Presidency)
- Sharon Gakii, Co-Founder of the International Consortium for Climate and Biodiversity, Loss & Damage Youth Coalition, SHE Change Climate Ambassador in Kenya
- Samar Alshorafa, Founder of SHE Is Arab, based in UAE
Facilitator: Caroline Mair, SHE Changes Climate Head of Women Empowerment & Founder of the Small Island Institute in Trinidad & Tobago
Closing: Special blessings by Akilah Jaramogi, Indigenous Merikin descendant, Forester, Founder of Fondes Amandes Community Reforestation, SHE Changes Climate Ambassador.
All participants are also welcome to join the group photo opportunity in front of the castle of Penthes, in the park overlooking the lake, right after the event.