Rue de Varembé 17
in Geneva 1211
The International Gender Champions Disarmament Impact Group welcomes you to an interactive meeting on the margins of the Fifth Conference of State Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty on the increasing synergies between the Women, Peace and Security Agenda and arms control.
Panellists will offer diverse perspectives on gender-responsive approaches to arms control, sharing insights from the ATT process and relevant SALW control frameworks, and from the WPS Agenda. Main questions for discussion include:
- What lessons can the arms control community learn from the past two decades of the implementation of the WPS agenda?
- Are there any innovations from the ATT process that can improve women’s participation in arms control and/or contribute to all pillars of UNSCR 1325?
- What practical measures can be taken to integrate the WPS agenda into the ATT process (e.g. joint reporting, agenda cross-referencing, meeting of focal points)?
- What can be done to sustain momentum and further the integration of gender perspectives into SALW control policies?
13:15 - 13:25 Opening Remarks, Ms. Renata Dwan, Director, United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research
13:25 - 14:00 Panel Discussion
- Ms. Christine //Hoebes, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation of Namibia
- Mr. Daniel de Torres, Head of Gender and Security Division, DCAF
- Ms. Folade Mutota, Executive Director, Women's Institute for Alternative Development
14:00 - 14:45 Q&A
See the flyer here.