Amnesty International (AI), Soka Gakkai International (SGI) and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) are collaborating on the development and production, in several languages, of a multimedia educational tool featuring documentaries of young human rights educators from around the world, to acknowledge their work and inspire others to take action for human rights.
A Youth Advisory Board, consisting of 14 staff or volunteers working in the partner organizations who are youth themselves and/or work on youth/human rights education, has been accompanying the development process. Following a wide outreach strategy and a selection process, the following seven human rights educators - reflecting a geographic and gender balance - have been selected to feature in the tool:
- Thematic focus
Racism and racial discrimination
Gender equality and sexual orientation and gender identities (SOGI) right
Women’s human rights
Sexual exploitation of children
Andres Allan Sanchez Osorio
Rights of children and youth in situations of vulnerability
Human rights of persons with disabilities
Gender equality and gender-based violence
The partner organizations and the Youth Advisory Board are organizing a series of conversations with these young human rights educators, to culminate with the launch of the multimedia educational tool later this year:
- The first edition of the series took place on 10 December 2021 with the theme Fighting racism through human rights education and featured Mr. Irfaan Mangera, a young activist and educator from South Africa.
- The second edition of the series took place on 9 March 2022 with the theme Promoting gender equality through human rights education and featured Ms. Dejana Stosic, a young activist and educator from Serbia.
- The third edition of the series took place on 17 August 2022 with the theme Fighting human trafficking through human rights education and featured Ms. Aiki Matsukura, a young activist and educator from Japan.
- The fourth edition of the series took place on 11 October 2022 with the theme Standing up for girls’ rights through human rights education and featured Ms. Aizat Ruslanova, a young activist and educator from Kyrgyzstan.
Young people, either staff, members or volunteers of the three organizations, ran the online dynamic and engaging events: they served as moderators and presenters as well as designed and disseminated relevant communication materials.
The event aims to:
- Highlight the importance of human rights education for youth, with youth and by youth
- Provide a space for dialogue among young people on human rights education as a tool to promote the rights of girls
- Encourage youth engagement in human rights and/or human rights education
- Build up to the launch of the multimedia educational tool.
3. DATE: 27 October 2022
4. TIME: 15:00 CET / 14:00 Rabat time
5. LOCATION: Online on Zoom. Click here to register for the event.
6. TARGET AUDIENCE: Young people and anyone interested in hearing experiences of young people in the area of human rights education
7. DRAFT PROGRAMME:
14.50 - 15.00
All members of the Working Group connecting
15.00 - 15.05
Flore Ghetti and George Charonis
15.05 - 15.15
Presentation of the multimedia educational tool’s project
15.15 - 15.25
15.25 - 15.40
Rethinking masculinity towards gender equality
- Short documentary about the work of Soufiane
- Sharing of experience by Soufiane
15.40 - 16.00
Q&A with Soufiane
16.00 - 16.05
Group photo: taking a pledge!
16.05 - 16.15
Closing musical performance
English and French interpretation