Tapping into IGC’s collective wisdom globally was the inspiration behind our first ever IGC Time to Talk - Champion Conversation Series. Held between the Mexico Generation Equality Forum and the Paris Generation Equality Forum from May through June, the informal talks created a space for Champions to exchange on a range of cross-cutting themes and specific topics.
Leveraging the tripartite structure of IGC, the small group discussions allowed Champions to find out about new initiatives in different types of organisations – missions, international organisations and civil society, including the private sector, and from across sectors in our multi-lateral hubs. In contrast to panel discussions, Champions were invited to attend without scripts and speak in their personal capacity – to share their challenges and ideas to progress gender equality in their sphere of influence.
Each conversation took on its own dimension. For some, the conversation enabled Champions to gain a clearer image of what gender equality looks like, for others, they were able to identify some specific milestones they must meet in order to attain it. The conversation on Gender-based Violence gave rise to the new network-wide Pledge.
Advancing gender equality can take courage, and Champions may meet resistance or backlash. Finding support and solidarity in continuing to drive the agenda forward is a key part of what IGC can offer the community. As we have seen with the $40bn committed by actors from across sectors and worldwide, now is the time for commitment and action.
- Intersectionality - convened by Anne-Sophie Lois of Plan International
- Youth Engagement - convened by Casey Harden of the World YWCA
- Gender-based Violence - convened by Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka of UN Women
- Technology and Gender Equality - convened by Houlin Zhao of ITU
- Youth, STEM and Diplomacy - convened by Dr. Lassina Zerbo of CTBTO
- Climate and Ecosystems Restoration - convened by Inger Andersen of UNEP
- Feminist Leadership and Representation in Multilateral Fora - convened by Caitlin Kraft-Buchman of Women@TheTable
- Work-Life Balance and Family-Friendly Policies - convened by Ambassador Bard Ivar Svendsen of the Royal Norwegian Embassy to The Hague
- Keeping Gender on the Agenda and Mainstreaming - convened by Ambassador Stefano Toscano of GICHD
Key points are summarized for some of the sessions in separate articles on the IGC News Page.